I feel Aubergine/Eggplant deserves more accolades and recognition in the culinary world. We all rave about the Greek dish Moussaka, France’s Ratatouille, middle eastern Moutabel( a spicy eggplant dip),Italian Caponata and many more Eggplant based dishes from many more countries and cultures. However, I don’t know if we understand the contribution of this deep purple vegetable. I don’t know if we acknowledge the depth and layers it provides to a dish…………..because I know there are so many Aubergine/Eggplant lovers who would like to get their vegetable’s rating to improve 🙂
So, I have decided to show my love to this wholesome purple veggie by cooking up Eggplant based dishes with some twist and posting those recipes on my blog:)and hopefully I can contribute in adding more followers for this delicious vegetable;) and make Aubergine the cheesecake of the vegetable world;)
Below is my recipe for Egg Plant and tofu stir fried:
1 pound Egg Plant- cut in small pieces
1 package (18 oz.) firm tofu, drained, cut into 1 1/2- by 2-in. chunks
3 table spoons of vegetable oil
2 green chilies- finely chopped
3 cloves of Garlic- mashed
a small piece of Ginger-finely chopped
Finely chopped green shallot (take a generous amount)
1/3 cup of dark Soy sauce
2 table spoons of Sugar
Some finely chopped coriander
2 spoons of lemon juice
1. In a pan, heat vegetable oil and add Tofu. Now cook the tofu gently and turn it over gently. When the Tofu is slightly browned, remove it from the pan.
2. Now in the pan add some vegetable oil and fry some finely chopped ginger, chilies and then add some mashed garlic. Cook it over low heat(unless you are aiming for some burned garlic and ginger taste)……………….and then when you smell the rich aroma of earthy ginger with nutty garlic and sharp chilies taking you into a different trance:)..It’s time to add that wholesome eggplant in the pan and cook it on low heat.
3. When the egg plants are cooked add some coriander and green shallots (save some of the green shallots…we need it later for the dish)
4. Once the coriander and shallots turn darker add the stir fried tofu to the pan. Now add soy sauce (you can add some water to the sauce before you put it in the pan. This helps in spreading the sauce evenly on the eggplant and tofu and would also make some gravy..)
5. Now add sugar and lemon juice for that extra punch.